PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Reenactors

LocJope
01-26-2016, 01:25 AM
I assume some of the people who have backed this game are also reenactors for the Civil War. So I had some questions for those who are.

1. What's it like, being out on the field?

2. What is the worst thing that has happened?

3. (Only for Oklahomans) Are there any regiments around or in Oklahoma? I've been wanting to reenact for a while, but with there being a lack of any found regiments, I was wondering if there was one nearby.

4. What are some tips about reenacting?

Thank you for your time, if you answered any questions, here is a big thank you in advance. I cannot wait for this game to be released.

CjkCJkCjk
01-26-2016, 01:32 AM
1. You cannot describe how it feels, you only know how you feel after, TIRED, but kidding aside I cannot describe how it feels except awesome
2. Worst thing is the Union being late for the tactical XD, but I don't have much experience with reenacting so I don't really know
4. Try buying from vendor's that your fellow company folks have bought from and trust, don't try it from other retailers because it might turn out to be garbage. If you want to save money, buy items used.

Henronicus
01-26-2016, 04:13 AM
Used items will have that "battle-worn" look ;)

thomas aagaard
01-26-2016, 11:46 AM
People die.

At the larger events you got 5000 -10000 - 15000 in the field. Often wearing wool uniforms and sometimes during summer.
And way to many reenactores are a older than they should be and many also to "big".

Then add horses... sometimes people get killed riding horses.

At Waterloo 200 back in summer at least one reenactor died to a hearth attack and at least one from getting thrown from their horse. (heard both 3 and 4, but one was reported by a proper news site)

Also people carry firearms and there are cannons. And sometimes there are accidents.
Some times people loose finger/hands when cannons go off during loading.

At Gettysburg 135th a guy was shot... but survived. But that is the only time I have heard about that happening...

But the fact that an accident with a cannon at an acw event held in Russia is something we hear about, show how rare it is...
How often do people get hurt playing (american) football? In my view reenacting (acw) is a very safe hobby.

Find a unit first... before you do any buying.
Read, read, and read yourself... and read primary sources like the drillbooks your self. Way to many reenactores just look at what others do. And that is not allways correct.

A. P. Hill
01-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Many years ago when I was reenacting, ram rods were permissible and just as was reported many times during the ACW, folks getting excited leave the ram rods in the barrel and then shoot others accidentally with them. There were 2 in events I was in.

Also, many folks carrying pistols used lard to seal their cylinders. Occasionally that lard has been known to strike others, one guy was blinded in an event I was in.

So yeah, it's a dangerous business. Need to be safe is always stressed.

And I agree with Thomas, research your local groups, not all groups are equal. Pick the group that suits your perceptions, otherwise you may find yourself dissatisfied with where you are. And I agree about the equipment. Don't buy anything until you decide on a group. Every group's requirements are different.

Most of all be mindful of who and what you're representing and respect it for what it is. It's not guys just playing at war.

And enjoy yourself.

LocJope
01-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Many thanks for the replies, guys. Each one is amazing looking at as it is to read. I'm glad this forum has some very knowledgeable people in it.

A. P. Hill
01-26-2016, 01:31 PM
This site MAY be of use. (http://reenactmenthq.com/index.html)

SemajRednaxela
01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Far too many old grey and morbidly obese people littering up the ranks.

I belive the death toll for Waterloo 200 could be at least counted on one hand due to my previous statement.

Apart from there always being too many chiefs and not enough Indians they're fun to attend. Though it's more about what you as an initial want to get out of reenactment.

And it does make me laugh that you chaps can't be trusted to use ram rods still.....

A. P. Hill
01-26-2016, 02:20 PM
... And it does make me laugh that you chaps can't be trusted to use ram rods still.....

Thanks to the nanny state.

In reality though it's no different than attending a renaissance fair, or highlands game in costume and having to submit to having your piece tied.

And, I didn't say we couldn't carry the ram rods, just that they can't be used any longer to compress your charges. This causes all the musketry to make poofing noise as opposed the nice solid crack of a properly charged musket.

SemajRednaxela
01-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Yep. Sadly reenactment and living history is plagued by people who can't be trusted unless kept under strict supervision.

And yes, I know you boys can carry them in your rifles. You just tap load. And like you said, the charge fizzes / puffs out the end. No real crack to it.

This is a good play list of some POV reenactments:
Re-Enactment POV videos (Reenactment Gopro): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL90omzaGpCojG9f9FSzmufJoHmxFxCqcA

Colonel P. R. Page
01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
I assume some of the people who have backed this game are also reenactors for the Civil War. So I had some questions for those who are.

3. (Only for Oklahomans) Are there any regiments around or in Oklahoma? I've been wanting to reenact for a while, but with there being a lack of any found regiments, I was wondering if there was one nearby.

Thank you for your time, if you answered any questions, here is a big thank you in advance. I cannot wait for this game to be released.

What's it like out on the field?

Well I don't know how to describe it but.....sometimes during a event...and it is very rare.

But sometimes while your on the field you lose sense of time and it's like your actually there if you forget about the spectators.

The worst thing that has happened to me during an event was the cold.

It had to have been 20 degrees outside!

Tips?

Basically what everyone else has said.

Mississippi
01-26-2016, 08:00 PM
1. Its a rush, some of the bigger events feel as if you were in the Civil War.
2. Worst thing is a Company didn't make it to the event on time & was late.
4. Try buying from vendor's that your fellow company folks have bought from and trust, or you could make your own impression.

thomas aagaard
01-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Yep. Sadly reenactment and living history is plagued by people who can't be trusted unless kept under strict supervision.
And yes, I know you boys can carry them in your rifles. You just tap load. And like you said, the charge fizzes / puffs out the end. No real crack to it.

I do understand why american mainstream events do not allow it.

The larger the event the harder it is to make sure everyone are properly trained and they all know how to load with ramrods.

In the US if someone gets hit there is a hospital bill that someone need to pay. And there are issuance companies that will try make sure that they are not the one paying.
Who should pay The wounded? the person who fired? the event for allowing ramrods?

This is much easier if you live in a country that got some sort of universal healthcare system... and you don't risk getting sued.
But I guess debating this part would result in a modern political debate and that is not something we should gt into.
---

But is is all a question about training...

---
Also It is my understanding that the ramrod from a baker rifle only fly 5-10 meters... where a ramrod from a springfield can easily fly 20+

SemajRednaxela
01-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Agreed. Political debates should reside elsewhere. And I 10000% agree that it's based on proper accurate training. Just like all modern military is currently.

As to differnces wity 19th century firarms I'm not sure on the difference between a British Infantry Rifle (never refers too as a 'Baker Rifle,) and a Springfield. Though you are right in the minimal distance their trajectory will fire.

thomas aagaard
01-27-2016, 12:38 AM
As to differnces wity 19th century firarms I'm not sure on the difference between a British Infantry Rifle (never refers too as a 'Baker Rifle,) and a Springfield. Though you are right in the minimal distance their trajectory will fire.
A Australian "95th" group did some testing with firing the ramrod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3CzI43QTE

The ramrod for the US model 1861 is thick in the end you put in the barrel and thin in the other end... so I would think it will fly much better...
--

Anyway.
There is a topic about "starting as an reenactor" on another forum you might find interesting:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/starting-a-reenactor-career.120986/page-2#post-1265635

Landree
02-05-2016, 05:46 AM
I notice that potential recruits are worried about the cost of an impression up until they actually take the field. It's a total conversion with most people.

When in the field, take every measure to keep warm. Especially your feet. Don't sweat, however
It'll cool down rapidly and make you miserable.

Worse thing is desperately trying to sleep but it's too cold, or the one instance at 150th 1st Manassas where it was too hot, to sleep. Other than that, yeah, people dying. Most times it's guys in their late 50s with some sort of heart issue compounded with physical exertion and dehydration.

Oh, don't get toasted the night before battle no matter how tempting. It'll fuck you up quick and kinda spoil the enjoyment.

Weapon maintenance before self.

Invest in footwear the same you would a rifle. Happy feet means good event. Unhappy feet means sores, blisters, achy feet, nerve damage, tendon damage, and all sorts of pain. I know this through first hand experience.

Buy right the first time.

Reznikov12
02-05-2016, 04:16 PM
1. It is really exciting! I participated at the reenactment of the battle of Trenton 2015, and hearing the fife and drum play and your sides flag blowing in the wind, you could really understand how confident soldiers must have felt at the time, well until the volleys started doing damage.

2. Me and my line were holding a bridge and the British were trying to cross it, It was really exhilarating, until my flintlock wasn't making a spark. I ask my captain for a new flint but he was too busy giving out orders so all I did was just aim my gun when everyone fired :(

4. It is really expensive, if you want to join a reenactment, I recommend joining one that has extra equipment and clothing for you. And once you are ready to purchase clothes. equipment, or a musket, always ask your superior what to get specifically, because there are a lot of websites that sell inaccurate products. If you want to join a American Revolutionary reenactment, I suggest you search Jas Townsend or Godwin for their websites.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Cost will be a big factor that may be a detriment for many an individual wanting to get started, but I will assure you, once you've tasted one reenactment, you will soon decide that no cost is too great to make you the best outfitted reenactor in your group. :)

Landree
02-06-2016, 04:00 AM
...no cost is too great...

Amen!

That said, it never ends. You'll always have something to fill out your impression and once it's "done" (hint: It's never done) you'll want to build another impression!

chamberlain
04-04-2016, 05:18 PM

im a reenactor in Maine its not bad in the field as you dont need to walk 50 miles manly just one mile i have had nothing happen to me its vary safe reenacting is fun the gun is hevy just a tip most are 10 lbs and you carry it with one arm not with the sling ether but its vary fun my company is vary nice and they will take you in and help

1SGT Shannon
04-12-2016, 02:00 AM
Well, I'll add that what everyone else has said is pretty spot on and there isn't anything that I can add. The worst things that I heard of (stressing "heard") is an artillery crew forgetting to remove the rammer and it flying 1800 yards before striking a man in the chest, killing him and pinning him to the ground and another soldier being stabbed through the calf by a bayonet that exited the shin. That was a case of poor command in my opinion. You should never have bayonets fixed while carrying rifles at secure arms position.

1SGT Shannon
04-12-2016, 02:04 AM
I forgot to say that it is possible to research and make your own uniforms cheaper and better than you can buy them if you can sew. This 76th PA Zouaves uniform would have probably cost me $1400 to have made, but I did it for $330.2757

Landree
04-12-2016, 04:13 AM
I've been chewn up by barbed wire and maybe been roughed around a little, but nothing too bad. I accidentally stepped on a guy's hand with hobnails and knocked the wind out of a guy in mêlée. (We underestimated body placement vs theatric swing)

Other than that, yeah, sometimes the old fat guys keel over and die. Heart attacks, heat stroke, etc. I've had people fall out over hypothermia or dehydration. A guy having a seizure because he didn't eat enough or someone spraining their ankle.

Funny enough, it seems that the most dangerous sites I've played in don't tend to have as many people getting hurt as the "safe" ones. That said, I am a risk taker when I'm the only one who can suffer consequences - such as climbing into a tree or bounding across difficult terrain.

Being in the moment is great. Don't forget to drink plenty of water, eat enough chow to have energy, and drink at your own risk... I try to stay away if I have to do shit really early. Otherwise pass the bottle, haha.

--

I can not stress enough how small improvements like swapping out your buttons or getting better insignia can transform a bad looking uniform into something much better. That said, Pakistani wool never looks good.

michaelsmithern
04-13-2016, 12:23 AM
I'm not a Reenactor, but i've always wanted to get into it

1SGT Shannon
04-13-2016, 01:09 AM
I'm not a Reenactor, but i've always wanted to get into it

Do it! The hobby really needs new blood. A new study that I read the other day says that numbers have dropped by half since the 80's. Here's a link to the 26th NC website:

http://www.26nc.org/

Locke1740
04-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Do it! The hobby really needs new blood. A new study that I read the other day says that numbers have dropped by half since the 80's.

once im old enough to carry a rifle (according to standards) im gonna join the nearest unit to me!