Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did PGT Beauregard suggest adopting the Union Jack as the Confederate flag?

Banned

Did PGT Beauregard suggest adopting the Union Jack as the Confederate flag?

Read some where that he did, but I can hardly find any information on it.

USA Sergeant

Not a "story" I ever heard about in any way.

Would certainly be interesting...
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Not a "story" I ever heard about in any way.

Would certainly be interesting...

I recall a quote about him suggesting a Confederate flag design that some how involved the Union Jack. Ill try to find it.

USA 1st Lieutenant

It's called the Union Flag unless it's on a ship.

Thats quite interesting, especially if it is true, since it is pretty easy to see that the first few iterations were similar to the Austria flag. Do you know if he is talking about the battle flag or the regular flag?

On the Union Jack/flag debate, from the Flag institute (from the UK)

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”."

Also the Union Flag bill of 2008 "endorses its dual names Union Flag and Union Jack"

Last edited by Theodor Schmidt; 05-30-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Well, PGT Beauregard is the father of the confederate battle flag. He suggested the colors be a blue field with a red cross, which looks similar to the Union Jack.

Thats the whole story:

Gathering at the headquarters of the Army of the Potomac (later renamed the Army of Northern Virginia) were generals Joseph Johnston, G.T. Beauregard, Gustavus Smith and Congressman William Porcher Miles, then an aide on Beauregard’s staff. The conversations turned around the idea of creating a special “battle flag”, to be used, in the words of Gen. Beauregard, “only in battle” for their army. Miles offered the design with the St. Andrews cross he had submitted for consideration as a national flag. The competition was a design from Louisiana with a St. George’s cross (horizontal/vertical). With the number of states that had seceded now reaching eleven (and with Confederate recognition of Missouri as well), 12 stars were now available for use on a flag. Thus, it looked a lot better than it had in February when only seven stars were added. Miles’ design was adopted by the council.

Gen. Beauregard first suggested the colors be a blue field with a red cross, but Miles countered that this was contrary to the laws of heraldry. Gen. Johnston suggested that it be made in a square shape to save materials as well as ease manufacture, and this was accepted. The flag was supposed to come in three sizes – 48 inches square for infantry units, 36 inches square for artillery units and 30 inches square for cavalry – but as the war progressed this was not always followed.

CSA Colonel

Nevermind, I didn't read it all
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Well, PGT Beauregard is the father of the confederate battle flag. He suggested the colors be a blue field with a red cross, which looks similar to the Union Jack.

Thats the whole story:
    Indeed he is. It may have been him suggesting that it incorporate elements of the Jack because of our British roots.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mi'kmaq View Post
    Indeed he is. It may have been him suggesting that it incorporate elements of the Jack because of our British roots.
    Strange considering he didn't have much British in him.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Strange considering he didn't have much British in him.
    He had a dab of Welsh, but besides that nadda. I guess he took into account that most Southerners are by far predominantly of British ancestry, specialfically Ulster Scots.